Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Discussion with the Guide

October 14th

In this meeting, me and Tarun discussed the status of the project so far. He told me that if I take a different perspective towards the project, I might be able to explore more in type design. Instead of taking a ready style of a hand painter, he advised me to take multiple styles and then come up with my own set. The previous approach will only be digitizing ie; converting it into a font, a hand painted type, which would only help me in developing my software skills and not my understanding of letter forms.

In the second case, I would be creating the characters from scratch. I would be now deciding the X-height, the grid, the negative and positive balance of the letter forms.

By heading this way, I would be creating a display type which will have multiple features, inspired from the types created by hand painters.

Why this approach :
This will make me understand how characters are formed and constructed. I will be working on the entire visual representation. Also, I will have to take conscious decisions on the characters which I won't leave it on the hand painters. I can now merge two or more different styles together, creating a possibly new output towards hand painted type.


I am also thinking of studying the existing display types used as newspaper hoardings, so that my type can have a wider application and appeal.

I now have to make multiple exploration sketches of the root character set in order to finalize a style.