Friday, October 5, 2012

Talk with Sarang Kulkarni

5th October 2012

I met Sarang today to show my research and the type explorations that I have done so far. As we were discussing  Sarag told me that I had skipped one chief step required for type design. The approach that I have taken to directly start with the mass and weight of the typeface referring a hand painted type is at a very hollow stage. What I now need to do is practice calligraphy on a regular basis, just like sketching to improve my understaning of the character. He told me that when you are designing a type from handpainters, then you have to input your knowledge, even on exploration stage, because handpainters do not have the knowledge of conventional type design and if his is not done, then I might face major problems in the character itself. By practicing calligraphy, I will understand the most important aspect ie; how a type is written, because that will help me understand the weight, the width the angle of the character.

As I have taken te approach of making my own type, then I will also have to read up on gujarati character study and how a letterform is constructed. Sarang gave me an excerise to draw some skeletal sketches of types and then add mass to them inorder to understand the positive and negative spaces. He told me to look at the typeface "Shruti" for windows and to analyse it and understand its mannerisms. Only after I understand how a character is drawn, only then can I start making my character.