Tuesday, January 22, 2013

UPDATE


My apologies, I haven't updated the blog for a long time. A lot of work has happened since October.
The Design and research are happening parallely. I am discovering new ways in looking at a typeface. The more I venture into the form, the more I am figuring out how it can be made more functional.

Here are the things I have done so far:
1.) Calligraphy practice of Gujurati Letterforms.
2.) Analysing the difference in calligraphic typefaces and hand painted type.
3.) Selecting a form and exploring base letterforms.
4.) Finalzing the character set with respect to root letters.
5.) Vectorizing the letterforms on software
6.) Learning and experimenting in Fontlab
7.) Create all derived and Independent forms

Task yet to be done:

1.) Visual Corrections of the letterforms
2.) Additional features


So I have been pretty much practicing calligraphy. I am refering this book by Christopher Calderhead called "The World Encyclopedia of Calligraphy : The Ultimate Compendium on the Art of Fine Writing-History, Craft and Technique", which you can buy here. This book contains acute details of how the letters are supposed to be written with the desired tool. Its a very informative book and has covered examples of the Masters.

Practicing calligraphy has made me realize the form of the letterforms. Its making me understand the visual language of letterform, which I was not adept in seeing. Only by this, I will now be able to form a character set keeping in mind my inferences.
With calligraphy, I realize how much a letterform can be stretched with respect to its skeleton, so as not to hamper its legibility, its proportions and the overall weight of the letterform.

Ill be updating my blog soon with all the calligraphic alterations I have made for this project.